In just under a month, the anticipated arrival of the iPhone 15 series is expected. As the iPhone 14 approaches the conclusion of its cycle, speculations regarding the upcoming iteration are intensifying. BGR has compiled the crucial insights concerning the iPhone 15 lineup and its imminent launch. Below is a breakdown of the essential information you should be aware of.
Previews and Computer-Aided Designs (CADs) showcasing the iPhone 15 models
During the month of February, we were granted an initial glimpse of the forthcoming iPhone models. 9to5Mac managed to obtain a 3D rendering that offers insight into the features of the Pro iPhone variant, unveiling slimmer bezels, curved edges, and notably, a transition from the Lightning port to a USB-C port.
On the flip side, MacRumors received an indistinct image that appears to be an authentic iPhone 15 model. This standard edition, in line with rumors, showcases the inclusion of Dynamic Island and a USB-C port.
In the early months of 2023, there was speculation that the iPhone 15 Pro would feature consolidated solid buttons equipped with haptic feedback. However, this plan was reportedly abandoned for the year 2023 due to technical challenges, as indicated by analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman. Considering this, Apple would maintain the buttons in their current form, although the mute switch might transform into an Action Button, akin to the one on the Apple Watch Ultra.
The provided image furnishes the most comprehensive preview thus far of what to anticipate for this year’s launch.
Design: Embracing a Broader Audience with the Dynamic Island
As per display analyst Ross Young, the Dynamic Island concept is slated to be integrated into all iPhone 15 models. However, this doesn’t necessarily imply that every version will incorporate the Always-On display technology or the ProMotion feature. Young’s perspective is that these two attributes will remain exclusive to the iPhone 15 Pro series. Notably, the standard models will undergo a slight increase in display size, measuring at 6.12″ and 6.69″ for their respective versions.
Industry experts suggest that introducing the Dynamic Island to the regular models could potentially enhance Apple’s sales figures, particularly given that the standard iPhone 14 iterations have been performing below expectations compared to their predecessors.
Regarding their exteriors, a rumor suggests that the regular iPhone 15 models will sport a glass and aluminum finish, while the Pro variant will flaunt glass and stainless steel construction. On the other hand, the Pro Max (or Ultra) model is expected to introduce a glass and titanium variation.
Twitter user ShrimpApplePro speculates that the Pro models will feature narrower bezels and curved edges, reminiscent of recent Apple Watch designs. Another leaker contends that the iPhone 15 Pro Max will boast the slimmest bezels ever seen on a smartphone, measuring just 1.55mm in thickness.
iPhone 15 colors
According to sources at 9to5Mac, Apple is currently in the testing phase for potential colors for its upcoming iPhone 15 Pro models. Among these, a very dark red shade is being considered. Alongside this, the regular iPhone 15 models might come in light blue and pink options, as reported by the publication. If Apple continues its established pattern, these new colors could be introduced alongside the existing Midnight, Starlight, and (PRODUCT)RED variants.
Additionally, a leaker who accurately predicted the release of a yellow iPhone 14 model has shared information about the iPhone 15 colors. Reportedly, Apple is exploring a cyan option for the standard iPhone 15, drawing similarities to the green shade of the iPhone 12. However, recent indications suggest that the final color might lean more towards a mint green hue.
To summarize, the potential color palette for the iPhone 15 series might include the new dark red and mint green options for the iPhone 15 Pro models, while the regular iPhone 15 models could be offered in light blue and pink, alongside the existing color choices like Midnight, Starlight, and (PRODUCT)RED.
iPhone 15 colors:
- Light Blue;
- Cyan or mint green;
iPhone 15 Pro colors:
- Natural Titanium
- Very Dark Red
In more recent developments, an informant leaked information regarding potential new case selections designed for the iPhone 15 Pro. Notably, this leak included details about a third-party case that features a cutout for the Action Button.
A17 Bionic chip, RAM, and storage options
TrendForce’s analysis suggests that Apple will continue its established approach of utilizing two distinct chips for its upcoming iPhones. According to the report, the iPhone 15 Pro is set to incorporate the new A17 chip, while the standard versions will retain the A16 chip. Across all the new models, a standard configuration of 8GB of RAM is anticipated, although DSCC analysts speculate that the RAM upgrade might be exclusive to the Pro models. However, a leaker by the name of URedditor proposed that the iPhone 15 Pro could potentially offer both 6GB and 8GB RAM options, with the choice dependent on the user’s selected storage capacity.
URedditor further detailed the specifications of the A17 Bionic chip, outlining a configuration that includes a 6-core CPU housing four efficiency cores and two high-performance cores, along with a 6-core GPU operating at a speed of 3.70 GHz. Notably, the chip is expected to be constructed using TSMC’s novel 3nm LPDDR process. The leaker suggests that this particular chip might be reserved for the iPhone 16 series, as the Pro version of the 2024 iPhone is projected to feature the A18 processor.
Earlier, in January, Bloomberg provided additional insights into how the A17 Bionic chip would impact the iPhone 15 Pro models:
TSMC has stated that its 3nm manufacturing processes offer superior performance compared to its 5nm chips while consuming approximately 35% less power, as reported by Bloomberg.
Prominent Samsung leaker Ice Universe shared purported Geekbench 6 scores for the A17 Bionic chip on Twitter, indicating that it might achieve scores exceeding 3,000 points in single-core tests and nearly 8,000 points in multi-core tests.
The standard iPhone 15 models are likely to be equipped with the current A16 Bionic chip, which is already featured in the iPhone 14 Pro versions.
In recent predictions, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo anticipates that Apple will aggressively enhance the hardware specifications for the iPhone 15 Pro, as part of its strategy to develop an ecosystem for the Vision Pro. Kuo suggests that the iPhone 15 might undergo a specification upgrade related to UWB (Ultra-Wideband), with production transitioning from 16nm to a more advanced 7nm process, potentially leading to enhanced performance or reduced power consumption for nearby interactions.
According to a post on the Korean blog Naver by user yeux1122, the iPhone 15 Pro could offer storage options of up to 2TB. Furthermore, another Weibo user, who supported this claim, mentioned that Apple might eliminate the 128GB variant in favor of a 256GB minimum storage configuration.
Here are the projected storage capacities for the regular iPhone 15 and Pro models:
A dive into the iPhone 15 cameras
As indicated by TrendForce, the forthcoming iPhone 15 Pro Max/Ultra variant is slated to finally incorporate the much-anticipated periscope lens. Analysts speculate that the larger iPhone could integrate a periscope lens capable of achieving up to 6x optical zoom.
Initial expectations from Kuo suggested that this iPhone iteration might adopt an 8P lens configuration, which typically employs plastic elements to enhance image quality and mitigate distortion. However, it seems that Apple has decided to maintain the technology present in the iPhone 14 Pro models instead.
Turning to the regular iPhone 15 models, insights shared by Jeff Pu of Haitong Intl Tech Research reveal that Apple has taken lessons from lackluster iPhone 14 sales and plans to introduce a significant enhancement to these phones:
Both the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus are anticipated to feature a three-stacked sensor configuration with a 48-megapixel wide lens. Currently, the 48-megapixel camera is exclusive to the iPhone 14 Pro models. Nonetheless, the midrange iPhone 15 models are not expected to include a telephoto lens for optical zoom or a LiDAR scanner.
Furthermore, Kuo proposes that the regular iPhone 15 cameras will possess an exclusive feature in the form of a stacked-designed CIS (CMOS image sensor) for the main camera, enhancing the camera’s ability to capture more light in photos.
With regards to pricing, a post by user yeux1122 on Naver suggests that Apple might revise the differentiation between the regular and Pro iPhone lines, potentially leading to a reduction in price for the regular models. While yeux1122’s track record contains both accurate leaks and valid insights, their post highlights the possibility of Apple setting a different pricing structure, which could result in a reduced cost for the regular 6.1-inch model. Here are the rumored prices:
- iPhone 15: $699
- 15 Plus: $799
Analysts Jeff Pu, DSCC, and Bloomberg are all aligned in their projections that the upcoming Pro models of the iPhone 15 could experience a price increase. This increase is attributed to a combination of factors, including inflation and the introduction of new features such as a titanium frame, the advanced A17 Bionic chip, expanded RAM, and the incorporation of a periscope lens in the iPhone 15 Pro Max variant.
Taking these factors into account, it is anticipated that the regular iPhone 15 Pro model could potentially begin at a price point of $1,099, while the larger Pro Max variant might start at $1,199. Jeff Pu specifically mentioned in July that the iPhone 15 Pro would indeed undergo a price adjustment, although the precise extent of this increase was not specified.
Battery increase for all four models
An alleged Foxconn worker shared with ITHome what could be the battery specs for every iPhone 15 model.
- iPhone 15: 3,877 mAh
- iPhone 15 Plus: 4,912 mAh
- iPhone 15 Pro: 3,650 mAh
- iPhone 15 Pro Max: 4,852 mAh
Should these reports hold true, this battery increase would mark the most substantial enhancement in battery capacity across all iPhone models. When combined with the assortment of other speculated specifications, potential customers could indeed find these upcoming iPhone versions quite appealing.
Moreover, there are indications that the iPhone 15 might offer faster charging capabilities, although not necessarily due to the implementation of USB-C. Leaker RGcloudS alluded on Twitter to the Samsung Galaxy S24 potentially featuring 65W charging speeds, made possible in part by stacked batteries, a technology that the iPhone 15 models are also rumored to adopt.
Continuing the conversation, the leaker mentioned the anticipation of future iPhones supporting 40W wired charging and 20W MagSafe charging speeds. However, there’s uncertainty regarding whether the speed charging boost will be introduced in the iPhone 15 or the subsequent iPhone 16.
Indeed, the leaker RGcloudS pointed to a novel charging protocol and an updated power chip as potential factors driving Apple’s decision to enhance iPhone charging speeds. The incorporation of stacked batteries, a technology expected in the iPhone 15 models, is likely to play a pivotal role in making fast charging more efficient.
While the context suggests that support for USB-C alone might not be the sole catalyst for Apple’s decision to increase charging rates, it’s important to note that USB-C connectivity can contribute to enabling faster charging. The introduction of USB-C could facilitate more rapid data transfer and higher power delivery capacities, both of which could support improved charging efficiency.
In summary, while USB-C support is one element that could contribute to faster charging speeds, the leaker’s insights imply that a new charging protocol, updated power chip, and stacked battery technology will collectively play a substantial role in realizing enhanced charging capabilities for upcoming iPhones.
5G modem, USB-C, naming, and more coming to the iPhone 15
Apple’s future plans for its iPhones seem to be characterized by several noteworthy developments:
- 5G Modem and In-House Chip: Reports suggest that Apple is likely to continue using Qualcomm’s 5G modem for its iPhones, at least until it’s ready to introduce its own in-house 5G chip. This internal chip is anticipated to be unveiled around 2025.
- USB-C Transition: Apple has previously indicated its intention to transition the iPhone to a USB-C port to align with EU regulations. However, rumors indicate that the USB-C port might have limitations. Users might require a “Made for iPhone” accessory to enable features like fast-charging and data transfer.
- Wi-Fi 6E: The upcoming iPhones are expected to support Wi-Fi 6E, which is an extension of the Wi-Fi 6 standard that operates in the 6 GHz frequency band. While it’s speculated that all the new iPhones might include this feature, analysts from Barclays believe that Wi-Fi 6E could be exclusive to the Pro models.
- These developments highlight Apple’s efforts to keep up with technological advancements and regulatory requirements while also potentially integrating new features to enhance user experience and device capabilities. As with all rumors and speculations, it’s important to wait for official announcements from Apple to confirm these details.
iOS 17 will power this iPhone
During the WWDC 2023 keynote, Apple provided a preview of the forthcoming iPhone 15 models that will operate on iOS 17. This new iteration of the operating system brings a range of updates and features aimed at enhancing user experience and addressing various aspects of daily life. Some of the notable enhancements and additions include:
- Contacts App Updates: The Contacts app is set to receive updates, likely aimed at improving the overall usability and organization of contact information.
- FaceTime Enhancements: FaceTime, Apple’s video and audio calling app, is expected to undergo improvements, likely aimed at enhancing call quality, user interface, and additional functionalities.
- Journal App: The introduction of a new Journal app indicates Apple’s focus on helping users document their thoughts, experiences, and memories in a more organized and creative manner.
- Mental Health Awareness Features: iOS 17 is set to introduce new features aimed at promoting mental health awareness. These features could include tools and insights to help users manage their digital well-being and mental health.
- Privacy Enhancements: Privacy remains a priority for Apple, and iOS 17 is expected to include new privacy features. These may involve Safari enhancements such as the removal of URL trackers and the addition of profiles for Safari usage, both of which could contribute to a more private browsing experience.
These insights are based on the preview provided during the WWDC 2023 keynote, and the actual features and functionalities of iOS 17 on the iPhone 15 models will be confirmed when the operating system is officially released.
iPhone 15 Pro Max: Everything we know
While the exact details are still forthcoming, it’s clear that Apple is poised to introduce a high-end iPhone model packed with exclusive features to cater to users seeking the utmost in performance and capabilities. Here’s a compilation of what we currently know about this upcoming product:
- Exclusive Hardware and Performance:
- This premium iPhone is expected to incorporate cutting-edge hardware, including the new A17 Bionic chip, which boasts impressive performance improvements.
- Increased RAM, possibly ranging from 6GB to 8GB, could further elevate the device’s multitasking capabilities and overall responsiveness.
- Advanced Camera Technology:
- Rumors suggest the inclusion of a periscope lens on the iPhone 15 Pro Max/Ultra variant, potentially offering an enhanced optical zoom experience.
- The device might also feature a three-stacked sensor with a 48-megapixel wide lens, providing exceptional imaging capabilities.
- Innovative Charging and Battery:
- The inclusion of stacked batteries could contribute to more efficient and faster charging speeds, although USB-C compatibility might also play a role.
- Battery life improvements are anticipated, aligning with Apple’s commitment to prolonged device usage.
- Exclusive Software and User Experience:
- iOS 17, the operating system for the iPhone 15 models, is set to introduce exclusive features such as the Journal app, mental health awareness tools, and privacy enhancements.
- FaceTime and Contacts app updates might further refine user interaction and communication experiences.
- Unique Design and Materials:
- Speculations indicate the use of a titanium frame, potentially contributing to durability and a premium aesthetic.
- The combination of materials and design elements could set this model apart from its counterparts.
- Potential Price Increase:
- Analysts and reports suggest a potential price increase for this high-end iPhone due to inflation, new features, and advanced technology.
It’s important to note that while these details are based on current rumors and leaks, Apple’s official announcement will provide the most accurate and comprehensive information about this flagship iPhone model. As the launch date approaches, stay tuned for Apple’s official unveiling to get a complete picture of the product’s features, capabilities, and design.
For the most expensive and powerful iPhone, Apple is focusing on exclusive features. Here’s everything we know about this product:
- It will have a 6.7-inch display with a 1.55mm ultrathin bezel;
- OLED screen with Dynamic Island, ProMotion, and Always-On display support;
- Titanium finish instead of stainless steel;
- Possibly available in Graphite, Natural Titanium, and Very Dark Red;
- A17 Bionic chip, 35% more power efficient than the previous iteration;
- Could start with 256GB of storage and go all the way to 2TB;
- Exclusive periscope lens with up to 6x optical zoom;
- The biggest battery life on an iPhone with 4,852 mAh;
- Fast Thunderbolt port for charging speeds and data transfer
- It could cost $100 or $200 more than the previous generation
iPhone Ultra could be a whole new phone
According to information from Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman, Apple is contemplating the introduction of an “iPhone Ultra” as a new addition to its iPhone lineup. This expansion would result in a lineup consisting of regular, Pro, and Ultra versions. While the exact timing remains uncertain, it’s unclear whether this introduction will occur in the upcoming year or possibly the year after.
Gurman’s insights suggest that Apple has held internal discussions about incorporating a higher-tier iPhone model at the pinnacle of its smartphone offerings. While previous rumors regarding the iPhone 15 had speculated that an “iPhone 15 Ultra” could replace the Pro Max variant, Gurman’s information indicates that the first Ultra iPhone might be introduced with the 2024 model year. This would position the iPhone Ultra as a tier above the Pro versions.
As with any rumors or speculative information, it’s essential to await official announcements from Apple to confirm the details surrounding the potential launch of an iPhone Ultra and its positioning within the iPhone series.
Announcement and release date
The anticipated announcement of the new iPhone models is generating excitement and speculation in the tech community. While the specific details remain unconfirmed until Apple’s official announcement, here’s a summary of the information gathered so far:
- The potential announcement dates are reportedly September 12 or September 13. Apple often schedules its events on Tuesdays, which could point to September 12, while sources suggest that September 13 could also be a likely date.
- 9to5Mac has received information from sources indicating that mobile carriers have been advising their employees not to take time off on September 13 due to a significant smartphone announcement. This hints at the possibility of a major event on that day.
- Pre-sales for the new iPhone models are rumored to begin on September 15, followed by the official sales launch on September 22.
- While details are still pending confirmation from Apple, tech enthusiasts and followers are eagerly awaiting event date confirmation and further information regarding the 2023 iPhone series.
As more information becomes available and Apple releases official announcements, outlets like BGR will continue to provide updates to keep the public informed about the new iPhone series for 2023. Stay tuned for the latest developments and information from Apple’s official sources.